12.07.2009

"Birthday Greetings"

How can fifty pounds of material possessions, stacks of paper, packaged food items and a stack of envelopes make you feel so encouraged? Without attachment, these things would be just that… things. As I look around my *new* room to the plethora of items in my midst, I am overwhelmed with the blessings given to me by God through my family. Thank you for the food, the scarves, the envelopes (and its contents), the letters, the surprises, the thought…I am overwhelmingly blessed.
I sit in my new home. It is a comfort unexpectedly fulfilling. I am full from a wonderful meal prepared by my friends next-door. It is a blessing to laugh with friends and realize God’s provision for me. I unexpectedly found birthday greeting notes all over the house by my dear housemate. It is an answered prayer that I find solace in a new face. And I feel the love of my family and friends, even from an ocean away. There are so many other blessings to be counted, and it is a long and tedious task to do as the hymn calls for us to do. To Count our Blessings means we realize how much God has done for us. Most especially, how He had loved us so much so that we could be united with Him once again. My lack of appreciation, motivation, devotion, all points to my sin. Ah, how amazing is it that God would save a sinner such as me, a complete wretch and loser! Oh how I hope the enormity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection continues to show through my life and words! It is life-changing and to realize the truth of the Gospel requires a response. It is a humbling obligation for me to share such a grand story with others. It’s yet another blessing.
To continue on in this story, the response for Typhoon Relief is amazing. I am still thrilled every single time someone donates their money, their resources and, most of all, their prayers. It is easy to forget that such a disaster happened not too long ago, but it is only easy for those who were not directly affected. There are still many who are trying to adjust to life post-typhoon. Yes, the greatest hope anyone has is found in Christ Jesus. But the call to love our neighbors and to show love for their spiritual life and their physical well-being is important. I still continue to struggle with this, but continue to pray for me as I live as a missionary in this country.
Some prayer requests –
- I have finals in a couple of days. This term has been very hectic and, as I reflect on it, I have not given my best. Requirements, assignments and everything should help equip me for the ministry God has called me to, but it should also bring me closer to my Lord. I pray that I can focus on the grade of my life rather than the grade of certain classes.
- The High School small group/core group ministry began a couple of Sundays ago. This small group of young girls is very encouraging. I hope that God is preparing their hearts and that we will establish a really good discipleship group in which we will grow closer to Christlikeness.
- Sunday School is pretty amazing. I started out with about six young girls. The number has fluctuated but last Sunday we had close to twenty boys and girls. I think the Lord gave me a “break-through” moment and I really felt like the kids were understanding. Of course, the Lord knows their hearts but I hope to be used to help them be established in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Going through Acts is exciting 
- The future. I have faith that the Lord will lead me in His direction but I think I need to be sensitive to what He wills. There is a lot that I want to do, but ultimately, it is up to Him.

To close, I want to thank my Lord. In addition to my famous Balikbayan box, I have also received two visitors – Russell and Auntie Annie. The six-hour trip up to Baguio isn’t easy, so I really appreciated their willingness to travel such a long way to see me. I must say, it was SUCH a refreshment and I really felt like hugging them the whole time. Baguio is still unexplored for me, so spending time with them around Baguio was just splendid. Thank you for giving me an excuse to go around Baguio and for allowing me the pleasure of your company.
It is my birthday. And if you know me, you know I love birthdays. So, here is a toast, my hat dipped, my life... to the Lord. As I am thankful for another year, I am SO thankful that He has called me to be His. As a young woman for God, I hope this next year brings more submission to His will and more passion for Him. So, the countdown begins… my birthday, end of term, traveling to Imus, Christmas, Kuy’s birthday (New Years), fourth term, and then home (for internship).

Love and Miss.
<3 Amy Grace

1 comment:

  1. It is good that you finally have your Blog updated! Thank you for the thought and kind words. May it be a blessing to others as it blessed me !

    ReplyDelete