(This was initially started in the beginning of November when I will still in the PI, so forgive the horrible range of tenses.)
Top Ten Things I’ll Miss (Philippines Version)
10. Filipino Transportation. Jeepneys, Tricycles, Taxis, Side Cars, Buses, Tricycles that look like baby Jeepneys, Motorcyles… a variety of transportation vehicles in which I am not the driver. Although I will gladly get behind the wheel back home (and have done so in a few instances here), I will miss the close encounters with pedestrians, traffic laws considered as passing thought, smiling at random babies gawking at me in the jeepney, and surprised taxi drivers when I speak Tagalog. Sidenote: my respect for multi-tasking rose to new heights when observing a Jeepney driver (i.e. rush hour traffic, calculating different costs for Senior citizens, gaggles of students and crying babies, picking & dropping off passengers with a slight nod of the head or shout, weaving in and out of traffic, tutoring their nephew beside them, all while continuous honking).
9. Being Secluded … in a good way. Although missing events, occurrences, birthdays, and the like are definitely a bad thing for me, in some ways…it was good. For so long I have lived inside my bubble, obligated to participate in everything and anything. Of course, it is a joy, but it was also nice to get away from it and “gain some perspective” (Igor, Ratatouille).
8. Balikbayan Boxes. Although always on the fringes of my life, this was the first time to be on the receiving end. Every time I (or other American friends) received a box here, it was like Christmas. Almost everything in the box was requested by ourselves, and yet there was a magical feeling about opening it. Going through each item, finding odd items that our mothers purchased on sale, sharing food “from the States” with non-Americans-it was awesome.
7. Getting to Know Family I never knew I had. It’s not strange for me to meet a second cousin or an aunt/uncle/grandparent for the first time (particularly in Imus). It’s amazing to meet them, relate in some odd way, and laugh with them. What’s super special is finding out that they too believe Jesus as Lord and Savior of their lives and are striving to be Christ-like in their life. Favorite moments include sharing prayer requests though it’s our first meeting. We’re related through blood, yes, but we are also united because of the blood of Christ. “All God” is the only way I can describe it. AND Getting to Know Friends that I never would have met. Similar to the aforementioned, I was blessed to meet people from all over the world-Myanmar to Pakistan, Cameroon to Indonesia, and all throughout the Philippines. Their stories vary, skin rainbowed, languages diverse as snowflakes, unique even in the minutest detail, but all sharing a common bond – the grace of God. To hear their testimonies of God’s goodness, His provision, His work in their lives was amazing in itself, not to mention to share our lives with one another. Seeing and hearing of their faith, especially in times of trial and difficulty as well as in joy, is something I’m going to truly miss.
6. Filipino Time. And I mean this in the best way possible, because usually this trait is not so good. Rather than "late" aspect of Filipino time, it is the relational aspect of Filipino time that I enjoy. When you're with a person for a certain day, it seems like the whole day is yours. During a cell group session, it's as if there isn't a time limit or a party to go to afterward. When going out shopping, it's okay to take a detour, it's alright to take the scenic route. If someone has a problem and asks for a bit of your time, counseling sessions are impromptu not scheduled. Hanging out with your friends would turn into a praise jam session. It was awesome.
5. Frankness. There is a frankness here that sometimes makes me cringe. Exceptions are taboo, but everything else declared fair game. Even within a classroom, unrequited feelings are opened like a Jack-In-The-Box. This is on the list of what I’ll miss because I usually enjoy these moments of unabashed honesty. Reclaiming reputation or “saving face” boils down to human pride, but there is definitely an awesomeness about being raw. Bluntness is not well received on occasion (especially in public for I do not condone such humiliation) but it has definitely made me bite my tongue and laugh more, both characteristics that I am glad God has developed in me while being here (although, my God knows that I fail and struggle with being gentle).
4. NON-AMERICA. Of course, I love the States; I was longing to be Stateside. But, not watching regularly scheduled tv programming (although, I have had a few shows on rotation at my neighbor’s), not being able to see every movie that comes out, not having a wide variety of restaurants at your fingertips, not hearing the “latest” music, all these things are… (yes, limiting but) nice. Sometimes when I’m home, I have an itch to scratch, a need to fulfill – the need to be “in.” What’s the latest fashion, what’s the new gadget I can play with at Best Buy, what’s the newest episode on Hulu, what's… eh. It’s a lot of work that I am glad to be rid of, and hopefully rid of some habits (like the “need” for these things).
3. FOOD. Although my food intake has lowered (yeah, right), my food palate has widened. To be more specific, my Filipino food palate has widened. I have always loved Filipino food but, let’s be serious, it’s not every day that I eat pig’s ear. I will miss eating on Banana Leaves regularly, going to a small shop next to the street for some legit Sinigang, food and drinks in plastic bags, sweet entrees and not-so-sweet desserts, odd fruits in my drink, barbequed pork along the road and the sort. I fancy oddities and am happy to say that I have tried such things.
2. My daily encounters with my friends. I struggle to write this not because there’s nothing to say, but because I know how I’ll struggle with missing my friends just as much as I have missed my family back home. Ah. God surely has brought them into my life for a season, but I pray that the season won’t be over. They’ve truly helped me to know more things about myself, to become a better witness, a better friend. I can honestly say that I have learned how to love, not because of the length of time we’ve known each other or our family ties, but because of how Christ has loved me through them. If anything were to bring me to tears on this list (and quiver my lower lip)…it’s them.
1. Eye-witnessing God’s work in the Filipino people (in the Philippines). I am but a mere selfish girl with an incredibly tunneled perspective, and yet, God has graciously showed me miracles in the Philippines. High school students are amazingly hungry for His word, adults are striving to be good parents and wonderful leaders of the church, Pastors are battling to make sure the Word is preached, people with less are giving away everything they have for those with even lessesr. Yes, there are a lot of hindrances, but positivity is another thing that I have learned here. It is so easy to get wrapped in the wrong of this world, to deny that God is still working when there is such pain and corruption. But, our God is surely working, He surely is in control and stirring the hearts of men. It is not about how big our problem is, but it is about how big our God is. And, gee golly, our God is beyond description. I have seen and heard the testimonies of sinful, seen and witnessed the joy of reading His word in depth for the first time and seen the brokenness of those coming to Him. Our God takes my breath away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome back Amy!!! Just caught a glimpse of you at Simbang Gabi. So nice that you're blogging once again!!!!
ReplyDelete