(For the record, I began writing this post in November. And this list is pretty honest.)
Top Five Things I Won’t Miss (Philippines Version)
5. Being Homesick. Although I do consider Baguio as a vital part of my home (and, only God knows what tense this sentence should be in), I will not miss the feeling of missing my parents, my brother, my family, my oldest friends. Most people become progressively better in their feelings of homesickness. I am not most people. My first trip was great – slight homesickness that died down. The second stint was fantastic, barely any moments of heartache, besides Christmas and Ache wedding moments. This third go around was the hardest time so far. From what I missed (Dayne wedding moments) to who I missed.
4. Inconvenience. Although I adore Filipino transportation, not having my own car forces me to rely on on Filpino public transportation. Ergo, daily supplies, food & products, even toothpaste, had to be properly scheduled in trips and installments. No stopping by Target on the way home or going to CVS for some moisturizer. Also, the inconvenience of not knowing where the best bakery was or where to get wedding dresses was not so fun.
3. Explanation. Explaining what I really mean, clearing up some “American” expression or action. I can communicate with a few words, be consoled with just a look and understood with an expression at home. This did happen on occasion in the PI, but there still was a need to explain “what I really mean/feel.” It stems from meeting new people who I didn’t grow up with, go to Sunday School with for 10+ years with or stay at their house for months in the summertime. Amy Grace was new (although, sometimes that was nice).
2. Philippines bashing. I understand that it’s difficult to live in a third world country. But, sometimes people go too far in their judgments, frustrations and complaints about the Pinas. Sometimes I brush it off due to non-American frustration, but usually it hurts. I can’t explain it really, when the PI is technically not “my” country and I may not be considered a true Filipino. But I have a love for this country that is… inexplicable. When they’re speaking overtly harshly about the people, the customs, the “weirdness,” the country in general, it’s as if someone is speaking badly about my parents. Yes, some of these things may be true in your eyes, but they’re my parents – you do not speak that way about my Mama.
1. Awkardness. So, I’ll say it. My actions come off as flirtatious when I think I’m just being friendly, in the Philippines and the United States alike. But, there was an added awkwardness while being in the PI. Just to clarify - No, after I smile in your vicinity, it does not mean I want to have your babies. Just because you’re driving me home, Mr. Taxi Driver, doesn’t mean you get to ask personal questions the whole ride. We can feel the stares while walking down Session road. A pleasant conversation for two minutes, does not validate texting every two minutes after that. Perhaps I may have walked into your classroom, but it doesn't mean I'm going to be your girlfriend. Awkward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ah yes my flirty friend I will miss and love!!
ReplyDelete