1.16.2009

"I like that trashcan in green."

There I was, in the middle of the SM Baguio’s Houseware Department, and I was whispering to my mom how excited I was because I was buying a trashcan.

That was a few hours ago and as my parents settle into their naps, it is now the late afternoon of my second day here in the Philippines. No real hiccups to mention (except the non-working consoles taking away the privilege of headphones and light during our 16-hour flight), just good company, food and amazement of the goodness of our God. Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary here in Baguio has already been a blessing; it is a comfy campus which feels like the many campsites I’ve been to. I won’t be able to settle into my dorm until a couple of days from now, but I saw where I might live and, oh, it’s definitely different than home and it’s definitely Filipino. Also, mejo nahihiya ako kasi kulong ang tagalong ko [I’m shy because my Taglog is broken] but it reminds me of something Ate Emma wrote to me in her letter, “My advice to you is to stay humble, follow the Lord and commit everything to Him, your joy, your pain and your discouragements.”

Many of them won’t read this, but I can’t help but mention how God has used some people to help my transition – the Gutierrez/Legaspi family (incl. Grandma Terry, Ate Rose, Marjorie, and Kuya Alex) for all the accommodations (and prayers) you have provided; Uncle Reuben for giving us a way to communicate with home; Kuya Ernel who has become an adopted Kuya to me here; Kuya Abet and Ate Emma for being such an inspiration to me and an encouragement to my dedication to the LORD; Dr. Joyce Abugan and Dr. Montecastro for their diligence and help to me; and to all of you (family, friends and those pulling double-duty) who have supported me (emotionally and fiscally) so much so that I can’t help but praise God for His provisions. Also, I won’t lie – it took awhile for my parents to get here (both physically and emotionally) but I am so glad to be their daughter and I am so thankful that BOTH of them are here. (Sip-sip naman.)

Just as the church in Thessalonica was found growing in their faith and love for each other, I pray that as I become a formal student of “vocational ministry,” God will find me faithful in my own growth in faith and love and worthiness of the Gospel.

“We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing. Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring. This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering … - since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all of who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
-2 Thessalonians 1:3-12


I hope you don’t mind but I’ll leave with you a few special moments that have happened already:

“Dear Ate Amy, Have a nice trip in the Phillipines, we hope you share God’s relationship with hundreds of people. Don’t get hurt, because the Philippines is a rough place. Love, Lance and Luke Saprid” [So, I’m not sure if you guys meant to put Cruzado or if it was really Lance Cruzado and Luke Saprid. Whichever, thanks for giving me something to laugh about on that long flight. There are so many other letters that I want to share with you verbatim but I’ll just say a general thanks for encouraging and reminding me of the responsibilities I have here.]

Kuya Ernel :You know, a church nearby has been praying for a helper for children’s ministry for months now.

General question: Where are the mosquitoes?
Pastor Abet: They can’t fly up Baguio with jackets on.

Amy: So what if I really do get kidnapped?
Mom: We don’t believe in kidnapping.
Dad: I don’t pay ransom when I have a son at home.

In His Grip,
<3 Amy Grace

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday the fire alarm went off at work. The kids in my room couldn't hear the blaring noise and stay sound asleep. All except Olivia. She asked me what was going on and I said that everything is fine. "Firefighters!" she said as the walked by the door. Realizing that the fire alarm was going off, she told me "Papa presses the button so we can go to sleep."

    Today I was playing in the kitchen area with Allison and her blanket. It's the ones that have a little animal in the middle of it like from Jon & Kate. I was looking at the little animal.
    Me: Hey it's hugging the blanket, that's cute.
    Allison: Like me.

    So what color is your trashcan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. funny and memorable moments have already started. I'm glad you are safe and sound and please don't get kidnapped.."Spray, spray" if you know what i mean :) Just continue to have Christ as you goal. It's easy to get distracted with hearts like ours.

    1st Sunday without amygrace.. kinda el weirdo. Well, work that tagalog girl. I'll test you once in awhile :)

    Miss you!
    -mariel(s)<-- that's from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying reading your notes... Bethany and I are praying for you, and will continue to do so. Hope that trashcan works out for you!

    ReplyDelete