1.25.2009

“Welcome to our Church Planning meeting…”

Earlier Friday morning, I watched as my parents left the PBTS campus with sadness. It was the end of my first academic week and instead of thanking God for endurance, I sat looking outside the window of my class thinking my parents would come back because they left something. That evening, I solely sat in the outside patio waiting for the weekly sportsnight to begin. A friend then invited me to a birthday party and, after I arrived I found out the birthday party was after a meeting. A church planning meeting. I smiled to myself as the Pastor said the words aforementioned; Good one, God, You’re really funny up there.

It was Touch Christian Fellowship, the same church that needed help with their children’s ministry, so I was keenly listening. After reports mentioning a growing need for discipleship within the church, spiritual development accompanied by music lessons for young teens, assistance to rebuild some parts of the church, the need for helpers in the children’s ministry (and many more familiar problems) … I was chuckling to myself; Sounds ironically familiar.

After some hearty fellowship and great birthday food for the six year old little girl, I had a great time with some ladies around my age who accompanied me to the sports night. The next day I ate scrumptious Pakistani food (one of the girls here is from Pakistan) for the first time at a meeting for the Ladies' Dorm. After, I met Ate Leah, who’s pretty much in charge of TCF's children’s ministry, to help with some child visitation.

The next scene still brings me to absolute joy, so please bear with me as I try to paint the picture. As Ate Leah and I took a taxi, climbed through small passages in between homes, carefully walked through mothers washing clothes and children making sandcastles with the dirt outside their homes, I sat in amazement as children gathered from every direction among the houses packed on a hill. Chairs and broken benches were carried by eleven/twelve year old boys as their baby brothers and sisters scurried to sit on them. Mothers came escorting their children as Ate Leah told the little crowd of thirty to settle. Familiar songs were sung with actions that go beyond any language barrier I may have had with them. Then, it started to rain. Everyone dashed with their chairs to an area in front of a small snack shop a few levels below. Ate Leah then taught a lesson from a worn-out paraphrased Bible story pamphlet in between trying to keep the children’s attention. Oh, how I saw the children of CPC in the faces that sat before me and, oh, how my heart yearned for these children to find the truth and a relationship with Jesus Christ! A young boy, not older than six, then recited Psalm 26 by memory. I could barely come up with the words to lead the children in a prayer because of my joy. The kids then enjoyed candy, face painting and some balloon hats (that I tried to make).

The rest of the day was filled with visiting the church, having a good conversation with Pastor Edison, and alternating between visiting more children and waiting for a break in the rain. Then, we walked back to PBTS and had some dinner at a local eatery nearby.

The next day, Sunday, I was escorted by Kuya Arnel and some new missionary friends to Touch Christian Fellowship. I tried to help Ate Leah teach her kids who ranged from one to five years old and I wondered what Ate Ging was doing at that moment. Afterwards, I helped in the kitchen assisting with lunch (by washing dishes) for a long dinnertable set for more than thirty. After a short stop to SM and an hour rest at my dorm, we were back at Touch for the night service. Pastor Edison was well-versed and He preached on 1 John 5:14-15, emphasizing a relationship with Jesus Christ. His words rang in my ear, “It all boils down to a heart issue.” Doesn’t matter where, it’s a heart issue everywhere. After dinner, that I prepared in my dorm (Pancit Bihon, from a package, and some strawberry jam sandwiches with some Milk Tea) for Kuya Arnel and I, I fixed up my quarters so I could share with you some pictures.

It is the end of my first real weekend, and I do not look outside my window hoping for something else to come. Rather, I sit in amazement at what God has done these past few days and I am excited for more.


Oh, how I love Jesus.
Oh, how I love Jesus.
Oh, how I love Jesus.
Because He first loved me.


<3 Amy Grace Bautista

PS
Next post: Dorm pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agracesurrendered/sets/72157612776359220

3 comments:

  1. hi amy grace! :) sounds like you're getting settled in and really experiencing God's amazing works over there. oh the things he will show you and do through you because you surrendered.. :) have a good day in class and be blessed throughout this day, amy! i'll be praying for you. i miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a special Angel doing some of God's works. From A freind of your Mom's, Don Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - boils pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    boils pictures

    ReplyDelete