I started classes a couple of days ago and am experiencing what many of the students here lovingly call “Syllabus Shock.” There is much to be expected after eight weeks of instruction (my classes - Small Group Bible Studies, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Christian Ethics, Hermeneutics, and “field work” in a local church), pero I know that it is only by God’s grace that this will be accomplished. I’m a little Filipina-American girl who can barely speak Tagalog experiencing extreme homesickness in a new country and school while trying to be a diligent student of God’s Word.
As Paul was happy to share about his own weaknesses because of Christ’s sufficient power (2 Corinthians 12), I too am happy to share that I am out of my element. Gone are my comforts and stability. There are moments when I just stop what I’m doing and question. Then, I remember: Jesus. I surrendered my life to Him; it’s called A. Grace Surrendered for a reason. This hard; surrendering is difficult and it takes all the pride and self-importance out of you (and it’s only been a week). DUH, God has given us the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ and I can not save myself, so yeah I’m going to humble myself. Unfortunately, as discussed in my Christian Ethics class and as I've personally experienced, the problem lies when our faith and actions do not coincide. I read Psalms 6 earlier this week, “I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes.” David lost sleep over his foes – his sin, and how do I react to my own? I am so sinful and unworthy to be saved by such an eternally holy, gracious, merciful and just God. How else can I react to these facts but to wholly give my little life to Him? It’s humbling. It’s really humbling…
…As is trying to speak Tagalog. I leave my pride at the door and pick up some embarrassment when trying to formulate complete sentences in front of my peers. Also humble is my kitchen/bathroom/living room/library/study/closet/pantry/garden/bedroom, a 15’ x 10’ room. And yet, I’ve never felt more spoiled or embarrassed about having so many possessions.
So, my parents are leaving tomorrow and, yes, I am sad. I am going to miss them more than I show. I know they know; I’ve been trying to hold back my sadness watching them pack. But, it’s time. It’s actually good - I’ll probably get more studying done with them gone.
All His.
<3 Amy Grace
PS
Please do not be mistaken, I have not been grumbling and whining all this time. There have been a lot of really great and exciting moments, too. The students here are Korean, Filipino, Chinese, African (and many more), from 20 year olds to people in their 50s, those greatly experienced and those just beginning to be used by God in ministry. To be with such great company who are willing to be used by God, with such miraculous stories that all point to Him, is really, really fun. God transcends culture, age, stereotype, economical status and everything else man can excuse himself with. Our God is …God.
For Marcus –
My Hermeneutics professor uses PowerPoint presentations to help enhance his lectures. He was speaking about investigating the text of the bible and finding out its context. The picture he used kind of looked like this:
I get excited when you update your blog. Oh my, God sure knows how to draw us in. Surrendering is intense-- but definitely worth it. Happy first week! (:
ReplyDeleteLove!
P.S. Garden?!