(Never thought I would do this but, Disclaimer: this post may not be suitable for young children, although I think it’s appropriate).
We still have leftover balloons at church from when the Korean missionaries came about two weeks ago and the kids have been finding clever ways to play with them. This includes two skinny fifth grade boys putting large balloons underneath their shirts to simulate pregnancy and chasing each other in front of church.
Sexual purity (I apologize for the lack of segue) has been an issue as of late. It was the topic for the Ladies’ Young Professionals small group bible study after church today and something I’ve noticed all around me. I am definitely no expert nor do I presume to know everything. All aside, despite my “godly” surroundings here and back home, it’s hard for me not to address this issue.
“Do young women get tempted?” Ate Riza questioned me and the other eight young women in their twenties. The answer was a resounding, and awkward, yes. It may not be as apparent as with young men, or as physical, but it is still a vital issue for young (age, not maturity) followers of Christ, no matter what gender. The longing for another person, the desire for a relationship, or the temporary satisfaction of “filling” a void are all temptations that we, perhaps I should speak for myself, feel all the time. And in my five week stay thus far, I have seen too many people fall and deal with the consequences of falling into such temptation.
“But can one really fall into temptation?” Our curriculum suggested that one slides into temptation rather than falls into it. I agree. King David had plenty of opportunities to stop and come clean with his affair with Bathsheba but he continued to try to hide it. That is, until Nathan confronted and rebuked him with his sin and, even after repentance, David dealt with his sin for the rest of his life. When I think about past mistakes, they are more of little conscious decisions that progress into a big issue rather than just one decision that results in falling into an abyss.
Believe me, (‘Rents, don’t worry) I am not being propositioned or pressured into doing anything here. I’m probably less pressured here (I have guardians who carefully observe and question me like hawks, I not complaining but rather stating fact) than at home. This is just an issue that is surrounding me that I should address for my sake, for the sake of those whom I set an example, and for the sake of the testimony I bear.
Do not take this lightly nor presume that this issue isn’t for you. If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will. As our Savior has spoken, let us rightly do away with the things that allow and tempt us to sin (Matthew 5:27-30) and bring us away from the Father. Let us repent from our sin and run towards our God for our Father is forgiving and merciful. But let us not take this lightly, for as much as He is loving, He is just.
To my dear girls, in the words of my Ate Riza, “Do not feed the monkey. It’ll grow and grow until it will eat you, no matter how strong you are.” Also, lets guard our hearts and minds which are easily susceptible to all the garbage that we feed it – including music, film, literature, talk around us (and oftentimes ourselves) – and instead let us be filled with the Spirit (Romans 7-8). “What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God- through Jesus Christ our Lord!” Seek accountability in someone, in whom you seek Godly counsel which points you to Christ and His Word, in whom you will be openly and lovingly rebuked when need be, and in whom you can confide in.
I really wish I could have this conversation in person and in a less public domain, but there it is.
<3 Amy Grace
PS
On a less formal note and probably only directed to Kuy, I’m not so sad about the Mihm trade since Brown is relatively the adorable-est player since Lou. Besides the whole block fiasco (which I am slight to mention came after the steal from West but still shocked even the Hawks’ bench), his interviews are hilariously grateful and have a sense of uncontainable glee that make me think he’s a relatively normal guy who genuinely enjoys the game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment